Pages

9.08.2010

Vincent from Johnny's Bagels





Today in J198 I got my first experience with video editing. I found it challenging at first but found that with time I was understanding it little by little. During this past week I set out to Johnny's Bagels, a bagel place frequented by students on Lehigh's campus. I got footage of the workers on the job and then had the opportunity to interview one of the men who works there. Vincent, who has been employed by Johnny's bagels for four years, was shy in answering my questions but he gave me great insight about his job. Vincent learned to cook in NY, where he worked and lived before moving to the Lehigh Valley area. Vincent hopes to open his own bagel shop one day.
In the first video, I simply inputted my interview with Vincent. There is about five minutes of back and forth questions and answers. The only editing I did here was including Vincent's name underneath his image and then adding some credits to the end of my footage.
In the second video, I inputted footage of various men at work at Johnny's. They are working behind the counter, cooking eggs, making sandwiches and helping customers in other ways. In the background I incorporated the audio footage from the interview with Vincent. In other words, the footage of the men on the job plays muted, while the audio of Vincent's interview plays too.
My video may not be all that, but it was really cool to be able to learn how to mute audio from one clip and input audio from another over it. I was also able to give myself some credit in the credits. I must admit, it's fun to see my name flashing across my laptop in an actual YouTube video.
I look forward to becoming more savvy with Window's Movie Maker. I'd like to be able to cut clips when they start to become a little too much of nothing. In the meantime however, I am pleased with what I've learned so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment